Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Yay for YA: Flesh & Bone

As promised, here's my review of Flesh & Bone by Jonathan Maberry.

I've previously reviewed Rot & Ruin and Dust & Decay as well; click the titles to read those reviews.

Statistics
Checkouts: Coming soon to the library
Series checkouts: 18
Typical reader: Fans of the series
Source: Snowbound Books

Synopsis: Benny and his friends have a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day.  Seriously.  With the exception of the epilogue, the entire book takes place in the span of a day.

My Goodreads rating: 5 stars

First of all, I do have to say after last year's review of Dust & Decay and the ensuing comments on the post, I was prepared for the wildlife and the problems they can cause for our heroes.  I'm also aware that Mr. Maberry does his research, which I can respect and appreciate.  The average reader probably won't catch the nuances, but I could tell that care was put into finding facts about how the world would operate in a zombie apocalypse.

I think what I liked best about this third installment of the Rot & Ruin series is what has happened to the zombies.  And how it's explained.  If you're the type that wants to know what caused a given zombie outbreak, you're in for a treat with this book.  Also, you'll get to find out, somewhat, what's happening to the zombies - why some are faster, and ... minor spoiler, why those wild boars are acting oddly.

Something I felt was perhaps a little overdone at this point in the series is the use of religious cults as issues Benny and crew must face.  They're certainly justifiable; that's not my point.  Of course people are going to band together and try to come up with reasons for what's happening in the world.  But every book has encountered religious fanatics, from the well-meaning Children of God, to the nefarious Preacher Jack, and now to the deadly Church of the Darkness.  I'm not docking my rating for this, but it's something that could be a turnoff to some.

I did like, however, that the third-person limited point-of-view included some of the rogue's gallery of this book.  It really added flavor and depth, and gave an inside look at the politics and machinations of the threat.  That was a great strength.  In the epilogue, it even lends the possibility of what the fourth book could entail.

Speaking of the fourth book, I'll be honest and say that I was very satisfied with how this novel ended.  I don't feel like there's a need for more to the story.  I'm also not sure how the heroes will get out of their current situation.  Does anyone have some teasers to offer up on the matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment