Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Cover-to-Cover Commuting: Heist Society

As I journey through the land of audiobooks with my new commute, I'm finding the vista sorely lacking in listening options for young people.  Maybe it's just the libraries that I frequent, but I'm hard-pressed to find many audiobooks on CD for teens.  (There are a good number available digitally through the libraries, but listening to my MP3 player in the car seems akin to talking on the phone - not a good idea.)

What I'm finding in the sparse collections, however, are really quite good.  See my previous review of Harlan Coben's Shelter.  Or, continue reading this to find out about Heist Society by Ally Carter.

Statistics
Checkouts: 5
Typical reader: Readers of mysteries
Source: The school/public library

Synopsis: Katarina Bishop, an experienced but young thief, needs to steal priceless art pieces back for a mobster who was robbed of them and blames her father

My Goodreads rating: 4 stars

I really enjoyed the narrator for this book.  Angela Dawe has a wonderful voice, in clarity, range, and pleasantness.  Each character is unmistakably portrayed with a unique tone, matching his or her age and sex well.  And accents!  It really is quite admirable, how such a variety of accents, dialects, and languages are handled in this audio recording.  Who needs a full cast?

The story is somewhat akin to that of Robin Hood.  At her core, Katarina tries to be a good person, and use her skills to return priceless artifacts to their rightful owners.  But she's still a thief.  And she and her crew of fellow teen thieves do some outrageous (albeit mostly believable?) things.




Sorry this review is a bit short. I listened to this a few weeks ago, plus my memory for the spoken word instead of what I read isn't the greatest. Expect my audio reviews to be more on the short side.

No comments:

Post a Comment