Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Most Disappointing Books of 2012

As the year AD 2012 (or 2012 CE, if you prefer) ticks down its final hours, I need to get in an annual feature or two more.  So let me tell you about the most disappointing books I read - or tried reading - this year.

*crickets chirp*

It was a pretty good year, really!  I only had one physical book that I did not finish.  That was Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris, which I talked about back in June.



There were certainly books that did not live up to my expectations of them, such as Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore.  That was a letdown with a beautiful cover.  My full review of it is available here.




Occasionally, I would pick up an audiobook from the public/school library where I work, and start it on the way home.  Some of these were audio-duds, that I didn't even try for one CD.  I might like them better in print form, so they're not truly disappointing; I just didn't like the vocals.

Room by Emma Donoghue was such a book.  I didn't give it five minutes.  The narrator is a five-year-old boy.  Whoever voiced him (there were multiple cast members) was too high-pitched and shrill to be enjoyable, or five years old.  I work with Kindergartners at the charter school, and they don't drive me up a wall just by talking.


I feel a bit embarrassed by this next one.  "Read by the author" should be something you should feel privileged to listen to.  Lord of the Flies by William Golding nearly put me to sleep, and that's never good while driving.  The forward was captivating, when Mr. Golding was discussing the writing and influences of the book.  But his soft, lovely British accent lulled me as he started narrating the story itself.  Too bad.





What books disappointed you this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment